Sunday, March 10, 2019

'Catherine' is a Masterpiece

Hey guys! It's your lad here again, Galaxy Gaymer!

So, I know there are many people that thoroughly enjoy playing the widest variety of games possible, and I am kind of one of those people, but with a twist. You see, I am kind of a genre-surfer of sorts when it comes to which game I am infatuated to. One week I may be obsessed with first-person shooters, next week I may be all about that simulation life. Lately, my obsession has lead me to a realm and genre that I had not previously investigated, and that is puzzle games. I know to some, this may sound like the single dullest type of game imaginable, and you might think I am a little tasteless. But the truth is, one game in particular and created this excitement towards these types of games, and that game is a game all the way from 2011 that I have only recently discovered, that game is Catherine.

Catherine is this really addictive story-line-based puzzle game with a hint of horror that is all about a man, Vincent, who must choose whether to stay with his long-term girlfriend Katherine, or to give in to the temptation of the seductive Catherine and cheat on his beloved girlfriend. One of the main points of this game is answering questions in a confessional booth in which will decipher whether your intentions are good and evil, all while completing various challenging puzzles in which you must get from point A, to point B.

Now, I may have only discovered the existence of this game a little over 2 weeks ago, but there is no doubt in my mind that I wish I had known how incredible it is a LONG time ago. This game has everything I believe a puzzle game should have. The engrossing story will have you immediately drawn to the lives of the protagonist and all of his decisions, leaving you wondering what will happen next, the two different art styles are both terrifying and beautiful in their own individual ways, and of course the levels, no matter what difficulty you are to choose, will challenge you just enough to give you that huge sense of achievement upon the completion of each one.

I truly believe this game could be enjoyed by so many people of different demographics, and I personally wish I knew of this masterpiece so much earlier. The 10+ hours I spent on my first play-through on the Easy difficulty of the game not only drew me in, but it cemented the game into not only one of the best games I am yet to play this year, but this game may truly and honestly be one of the greatest games I have played in my entire life. So, do yourself a favor and go play this game. It is almost a steal at $30AUD on the Xbox store, but you could also get a physical copy for a bargain anywhere (which I will also be doing) and if you are not too keen on getting a game that was released so long ago, I'd say definitely get your hands on a copy of Catherine: Full Body upon its release in September this year. The special edition looks amazing and I may even have to just bite the bullet and invest in a Playstation 4, just for this game and many other amazing ones!

What is a game that you have had an instantaneous infatuation with? I'd love to hear about some and maybe even check them out for myself!

Have a nice day!

Love, Galaxy Gaymer

No comments:

Post a Comment