Tuesday, July 19, 2022

'Middle Earth', A Familiar, Tolkien-ish Tale

Hey everyone! It's your lad here, Galaxy Gaymer!

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm such a nerd. Some of my most beloved franchises are those of the more lore-heavy, and that includes one of my absolute biggest heroes, John Ronald Reuel Tolkien, or we most know him, J.R.R. Tolkien. That universe is the one known as The Lord of the Rings, and today's game tells a very familiar tale to that of Tolkien's universe.


The Middle Earth series is an action/ adventure hack-and-slash developed by Monolith Studios  that follows the story of Talion, a ranger from Gondor who has a special bond with the Elf Lord of Celebrimbor. This bond allows him to be essentially stronger in every way. He can jump from the highest heights without any damage, and he can have combat assistance where the Elf Lord jumps out of his body. This story is shown over two games, the first one being Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor, the second being Middle Earth: Shadow of War. 

The combat in this game stands out so much to me. It doesn't throw you straight in the deep end, but it also doesn't hold your hand too much. I also found all the different enemies super well made, and I love the system where if an enemy manages to kill you, they climb the rank of the orcs, and if you kill them, a new orc can take their rank.

The general atmosphere of these games is absolutely stunning. The world, characters, just everything looks really brilliant, and had me entranced throughout the entirety of my first playthroughs. The music also stood out so much to me. It felt just unique enough to not get the developers hit by copyright, and just Tolkien-esque enough to give me chills all over.

I highly recommend these games for Tolkien lovers especially, but also people that love games such as Assassin's Creed that just need a new experience. I wish I had found them earlier, but I am glad I discovered them in general. There's so much to do, whether it's side quests or main quests, and I just think it could be a fun time for anyone who gives it a chance. These games are also considerably cheap, or if you have Game Pass you could play the second game, Shadow of War, for free!

What is your favourite game inspired by another universe? Comment down below!

Have a nice day!

Love, Galaxy Gaymer

No comments:

Post a Comment