Friday, March 6, 2020

'Iris and the Giant', A Sombre Adventure

Hey everyone! It's your lad, Galaxy Gaymer!

Mental health is a topic that is not really explored in a huge number of games. I think people are afraid at times, simply because they don't think they can relate to others. Any game that explores topics seen as taboo is a huge positive in my opinion.


Iris and the Giant is a stunning, yet sombre card-based game about a young girl's battle with depression. The aim of this game is to create a deck to strategically beat the monsters in multiple places, and escape them via the staircases. It is anything but a cheerful, happy game. But that isn't necessarily a negative thing. 



With every different world of Iris and the Giant, I found myself having to use more strategy, or at least use all the luck I possibly could. The different power ups in the game can make you able to complete levels easier, or you can even make your enemies stronger. It's definitely a concept I am yet to see in many, if any, other games.


Between the beautiful, unique art style, and the simplistic, yet stunning background music, I think all kinds of people can definitely enjoy this game in one way or another. Mental illness and mental health can be such a taboo topic in the world of gaming, or even the real world, so I think the existence of this game and how is doesn't just tip toe around the topic of depression is something that could truly help people.

What is a game that you find relatable in any way? Comment down below! I also want to say a huge thank you to Goblinz Studio for a copy of this incredible game! I appreciate it a lot.

Have a nice day! 

Love, Galaxy Gaymer! 


No comments:

Post a Comment